Seriously, who in the hell puts an offer on a house when they're 22 years old? ... and then stays in that house for the next 11-12 years?
It was a house on Southeast Rio Drive in Suburban, Ankeny, Iowa, that... because in my brief stint of looking, I realized, I could afford "a lot more house" in Ankeny. So, I closed on the house and moved in with Kari just after we turned 23. Shortly after, while she was cleaning our new bathroom, I asked her to marry me. lol.
The only way I can think to sum things up while living on Rio is via list.
- proposed to Kari, as you already know
- married Kari!
- built a shed, a bookcase, a bar, and a theater
- planted trees that are now taller than the 3 story home
- adopted our first dog, Ninja, and held him while he died in my arms years later
- adopted our second dog, Garth Brooks
- the parties (dinner, back yard, basement, dog, halloween, holiday, or otherwise) ... early, late ... and sometimes even from early to late, and then early again
- jumping off the deck onto the trampoline
- the inline / skateboard / snow skate / soap shoe sessions
- the cops
- the wrestling
- ping pong, pool, irish rings, foosball
- the walks to and from Stix (RIP Stix)
- skate night Tuesday
- the pocket bike
- random fireworks
- I learned to brew beer
- backed kari's car through the garage door
- and most regrettably, I never filmed that second cribs episode there
Many, many thanks to everyone who ever visited us there and helped us make some amazing memories in our first home.
11.5 years! That's pretty much longer than anything I've ever done in my entire life, and it was awesome.
Now for round 2!